Recently I have been having some issues with plugins while working in my lab. I recently wrote this article “Error 1063 vSphere Web Client” which documents how to disable selected plugins. This fixed worked for a little while, but recently I have started receving a similar error but with the Error #1009 vSphere Web Client. I tried the fix in my previous article again, however when I tried to go into the Client Plug-Ins area of the vSphere Web Client, I received the #1009 error everytime.
The first thing I tried was to (obviously) Google the error, but I couldn’t find any resolution. A few people have experienced this error on the communities forum but no one had a fix for it. I phoned a friend in GSS, and they told me about an issue with cached objects that are stored in a SerenityDB folder. They aparantly have bad references and you need to clear out the cache.
After running the steps below, this error has now stopped appearing and I can continue with my daily activities in the vSphere Web Client.
Run these steps if you are using the VMware vCenter Server Appliance 5.5 or version 6.0 to clear the Error #1009 vSphere Web Client.
Login to the vCenter Server Appliance using SSH or the console:
# service vsphere-client stop
# rm -rf /etc/vmware-vsphere-client/SerenityDB/serenity/*
# service vsphere-client start
You will then see the following status:
Last login: Fri Jun 5 11:24:36 UTC 2015 on pts/0
Starting VMware vSphere Web Client...
Waiting for VMware vSphere Web Client......
This tells you that the vSphere Web Client is now running and started. You will need to wait a few minutes for the service to fully initiate. If you try to login too soon you will see the following message in your browser: