So my Sky+ HD Box has stopped working. It was working fine, recording a program, then it just simply turned off and the TV receives no signal anymore.
I tried all the obvious techniques. Unplugged the box, disconnected all the cables, reconnected all the cables, plugged the box back in, nothing. Same thing. The power light and WIFI light come on as expected, but nothing appears on the TV.
After googling the issue for a while, I discovered that it was the fact that my planner was full. It was in the middle of a recording, and couldn’t delete anything, so simply hit 100% disk space and crashed. Ok, so how do I get the box on to delete a program?
First thing I tried is to do a software update. This normally fixes 90% of the problems on a sky box and is really easy to do. The steps below explain how to perform a manual software update. (Note: This does not delete anything from your planner).
- Turn off the Sky box at the wall
- Hold down the Backup button (on the front panel not the remote)
- Turn on the Sky box
- Hold the backup button down for 30 seconds
- All the lights on the sky box will come on, release the backup button
You will see on your TV that the Sky+ Box is performing a software update.
This unfortunately did not work. The Sky+ HD box was still the same, wouldn’t display anything on the TV. I knew the box was working as I was able to perform the system update.
I read all the help pages on Sky.com (help.sky.com/articles/problems-with-your-recordings-and-planner) but it all talked about operating the box, which I couldn’t do.
I then decided to disconnect the satellite cable to see if anything was going on from that perspective. Sure enough as soon as I disconnected the satellite cable from the main input port, the box came back to life.
However, as you can guess, nothing worked. Your Sky+ HD box isn’t getting a satellite signal. I was able to operate the box though, and run through all the commands. I checked my planner and could see that it was 100% full. My initial findings were correct. Lets try the re-build option then detailed on sky.com. Unfortunately at every turn in the menu system, I always got the message Your box is still initialising, please return in a short time to use this feature. I left it for three hours, still the same message.
I had one last option, perform a full system reset of the box. Sigh, this does delete all your planner recordings. I wont be watching myself on Question Time anymore.
To perform a full system reset follow these instructions: help.sky.com/articles/reset-your-sky-box
- Press services on your Sky remote.
- Use the right arrow button to highlight Settings, then press select.
- Press 0 (zero), 1 then select to access the Installer Setup menu (this menu is not listed on the Settings menu options).
- Use the right arrow button to highlight System Reset and press select. You’ll see an on screen message, “This option will delete all existing and planned recordings and purchases. All Buy & Keep purchases are available to re-download at sky.com/restore.”
- Press select to confirm. Your TV screen will go blank and your Sky+HD box will switch itself off.
- Wait for at least three minutes and then press sky on your remote to switch your Sky+HD box back on.
My Sky+HD Box is now working perfectly. I reconnected the Satellite cables and all is ok.