Name: David Hill
Currently working for VMware Cloud Services Business Unit in the Technical Marketing team as a Global Cloud Architect developing and evangelizing VMware’s Go To Market Cloud Strategy and Architecture.
Worked in the IT Sector for 18 years, including eight years self-employed as an IT and Business Management Consultant. During this time spent several years working with virtualization technologies.
Available internationally for contracts in the IT sector immediately. Currently hold a USA L1 Visa and UK Security Clearance to SC level. Hold a valid UK passport, UK and California driver’s licenses.
Excellent interpersonal skills coupled with an analytical mind, extremely versatile and self-confident. In excellent health and maintain fitness through playing football/soccer and cycling. Enjoy international travel.
Core areas of Expertise:
|IT strategy and Execution||Enterprise IT Systems||Time and Resource Optimization|
|Infrastructure Architecture||Information Architecture||Data Center Architecture|
|Cloud Architecture||Operational Support||Profit and Loss Management|
|Product & Technology Launches||Software Consulting||Staff Mentoring|
|Software Lifecycle Management||Business Development||Project Management|
- Created VMware’s vCloud Monitoring Reference Architecture.
- Created VMware’s vCloud Disaster Recovery solution.
- Managed and lead a team of 10 people to provide global enablement including collateral creation and training to over 3000 field sales engineers.
- The Lead Technical Cloud Evangelist for VMware vCloud Air.
- Co-Author of VMware Press book titled “VMware vCloud Architecture Toolkit (vCAT)”.
- Developed Reference Architectures for beta products before release to market.
- Defined VMware’s vCloud strategy and provided feedback on GTM (go-to-market) strategies.
- Designed and installed multiple VMware vSphere and vCloud environments for service providers and enterprise customers through proof-of-concept, pre-production, and production.
- Designed a green-field virtualization environment to provide a consolidation platform for four hundred physical servers for a public sector client.
- Designed and deployed a global standard VMware vSphere ESXi 4 automated build for a global financial institution.
- Delivered technical presentations to over 1000 attendees at VMworld, Partner Exchange, industry recognized conferences, including regional VMUGs across Europe and America.
- Architected and implemented Orchestration and Life Cycle systems.
- Personal blog site voted in top 100 best virtualization blog on com in first year of voting.
- Awarded VMware vExpert status consecutively from 2012 – 2015.
|VCP 3||VCP 4||VCP 5||VCAP-DCD 4|
|VMworld 2014 Networking Session||VMworld 2014 – Build a Hybrid Cloud||vCloud Air Data Protection Overview||VMware vCAT Book|
VMware, Palo Alto, USA and Home Based UK
December 2013 – Present
Title: Senior Technical Marketing Architect and Lead Evangelist– Cloud Services (vCloud Air)
- Lead for launch of Data Protection, Storage tiers, Disaster Recovery and Object Storage offerings in vCloud Air.
- Lead and managed team of 10 to provide global enablement including collateral creation and provide training to over 3000 field sales engineers.
- The Lead Technical Evangelist for VMware vCloud Air regularly presenting at conferences worldwide with session attendee counts above 1000 people.
- Design Enterprise Reference Architectures for customers looking to integrate with VMware’s Cloud offering, covering all aspects of cloud from Compute, Storage, Networking and Operations.
- Developed Reference Architectures based on Microsoft Packaged Applications to demonstrate how they can be leveraged in a hybrid cloud model.
- Provide input into Product Management to define VMware’s Cloud Roadmap and strategy.
- Provide input into Product Management to influence feature requirements for Compute, Storage and Networking in VMware’s cloud offering.
- Liaise with different product groups on the key areas of cloud that are impacted by new features (Compute, Storage, Networking).
- Work with solutions architects around DevOps integrations with Puppet and Chef to allow automated and orchestrated deploys in a hybrid cloud model.
- Test competing cloud platforms (Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS) to understand the strengths and weaknesses of VMware’s Cloud Platform.
- Lead Evangelist promoting VMware’s cloud offering to the virtualization community, including developing social media strategies and online webinar presentations.
- Manage and promote the VMware cloud strategy with the virtualization community including vExpert’s and VMUG.
- Provide technical advisement to ISV’s to allow for tighter development and integration with VMware’s vCloud Air offerings.
- Presented designs and solutions to all levels of corporate management including “C” level.
VMware, based in Palo Alto, USA
April 2012 – December 2013
Title: Senior Solutions Architect – Software Defined Data Center – Global Technology Solutions
- Worked on a global team to develop Reference Architecture for VMware vCloud (vCAT 2/3).
- Product owner for Implementation Examples document set for vCloud Architecture Toolkit.
- Developed architecture and engagement service kits to enable VMware field engineers and partners to deliver engagements and solutions.
- Provided delivery assistance and escalation point-of-contact to local PSO and partners.
- Designed and deployed multiple vCloud and vSphere environments including proof-of-concept, pre-production, and production.
- Provided architecture improvements and feedback on beta and current products.
- Developed best practice recommendations and designed guidelines for customers.
- Provided project management and technical leadership to assigned projects.
- Technical author developing vCloud IP work streams.
- Technical contributor to knowledge base articles, blog articles, and VMware support community forum.
VMware, Home based, UK
April 2010 – April 2012
Title: Senior vCloud Consultant– Global Centre of Excellence
- Lead architect for design and deployment of vCloud customer engagements.
- Architected application migration solutions.
- Worked with global team to create and develop Plan and Design services for PSO delivery.
- One of three global technical leads developing VMware’s vCloud Disaster Recovery Architecture.
- Project lead developing vCloud Monitoring integration Reference Architecture.
- Presented multiple technical sessions at VMworld and Partner Exchange to over eight hundred attendees.
- Created and developed training material for use on vCloud roadshows to train PSO field.
- Delivered training presentations to PSO field.
- Tested beta products before release to market and provided feedback to product managers.
- Defined VMware’s vCloud strategy and provided feedback on GTM (go-to-market) strategies.
Contracted to Credit Suisse in Zurich, Switzerland
November 2009 – April 2010
Title: Global Virtualization Technical Architect
- Designed and deployed a global standard VMware vSphere ESXi 4 automated build.
- Designed and documented Global Virtual Standards for acceptance in five countries.
- Designed and documented Global Hardware Standards utilizing:
- HP Proliant DL380 G6.
- HP Proliant DL580 G5.
- HP Proliant BL680 G6.
- Designed disaster recovery solution utilizing VMware Site Recovery Manager.
- Implemented Orchestration and Life Cycle manager service utilizing Dynamic Ops Virtual Resource Manager.
- Technical author of Low Level Designs.
- Technical author of Global Migration Plans.
- Technical author of Operations Procedures.
- Provide technical assistance to Operational Support teams when required with major service failures. Production environment containing 5000 VMware ESX 3.5 hosts, and 10000 Virtual Machines running a multitude of Operating Systems.
- Technical Lead on assigned tasks, working in a globally diverse team split across five countries.
Contracted to BT / Capito for South Tyneside Council Transformation
February 2009 – October 2009
Title: Virtualisation and Windows Technical Architect
- Designed and deployed a virtual infrastructure utilizing:
- 2 x HP C7000 chassis enclosures.
- 16 x HP Proliant BL460c G6 blades.
- HP Virtual Connect Flex-10 Ethernet modules.
- HP Virtual Connect Fiber Channel modules.
- VMware vSphere 4 Enterprise Plus edition.
- The solution provided a consolidation platform for 400 physical servers.
- Designed and deployed VMware vSphere 4 Enterprise development and test environment.
- Designed and deployed HP SIM monitoring solution.
- Designed and deployed Microsoft Windows 2008 standard server builds (all editions).
- Designed and deployed Microsoft Windows 2003 standard server builds (all editions).
- Deployed Microsoft SQL 2008 x64 Enterprise clustered solution.
- Designed and configured Storage Area Network utilizing 2 x EMC CX3-40 SAN devices.
- Designed and deployed a small 6 server Citrix XenApp 5 farm.
- Carried out proof-of-concept testing in development and test environments.
- Technical author of high and low level design documents.
- Technical author of standard operating procedures (SOPs) ensuring that all procedures followed ITIL guidelines.
- Technical author of server build procedures.
Contracted to EMC for BP
October 2008 – February 2009
Title: VMware Engineer
|Contracted to London Development AgencyAugust 2008 – October 2008
Title: VMware and Windows Architect
|Contracted to BskyBJanuary 2008 – August 2008 (2 Extensions)
Title: VMware Consultant
|Contracted to T-Systems for the Centrica outsourcing projectJanuary 2007 – January 2008 (4 Extensions)
Title: Wintel and VMware Consultant
|Contracted to DigicaNovember 2006 – January 2007 (2 Extensions)
Title: Infrastructure Migration Consultant
|Contracted to Accenture for the NHS National programme for ITNovember 2004 – May 2006 (7 Extensions)
Title: 3rd Line Support Engineer / HP Openview Build Consultant
|Contracted to Esteem SystemsJune 2006 – November 2006 (2 Extensions)
Title: Microsoft and Citrix Solutions Consultant
|Contracted to EDS for the Prison Service, then for AON UKMay 2003 – July 2004
Title: 3rd Line support analyst
|Contracted to Northern Rock BankJuly 2004 – October 2004
Title: Senior Technical Applications Support analyst/Migration Specialist
|Mastercopy LtdNovember 1998 – January 2001
Title: IT Solutions Engineer
|Contracted to Unisys for Railtrack/Network RailJanuary 2001 – May 2003
Title: Migration Specialist
|Barry Shaw & Co.July 1997 – May 1998
Title: Computer Maintenance Technician
|Tees and Hartlepool Port Authority May 1998 – November 1998
Title: Computer Systems Engineer
Discovery PartnershipApril 1996 – January 1997
Title: Trainee Computer Engineer
|Yarm ComputersJanuary – May l997
Title: Computer Engineer
Education and References available on request